Q: What should I do before towing a trailer?

What should I do before towing a trailer?

Towing even a small trailer with a light load requires that you take the right precautions before you hit the road. While there’s not a lot that must be done, there are several things you should ensure. Here’s what you need to know:

• Service: Before towing any load, make sure your car has been professionally serviced. Pay special attention to the brakes, transmission and suspension.

• Trailer Condition: Inspect the trailer for any potential problems, particularly tire wear.

• Weight: Double check that you have not exceeded the load limit of your car.

• Secured: Make sure that the tongue is correctly attached to the ball, and that safety chains are used.

• Cargo: Make sure that your cargo is secured with tie-downs, cargo straps or in some other way.

• Lights: Work with someone else to double check that all lights on the trailer and your car are working properly.

• Car Tires: Make sure that your car’s tires are in good condition and have the right amount of air (check the spare as well).

3. What should I do before towing a trailer?