What's the proper engine operating temp for a 98 dodge da...

Q: What's the proper engine operating temp for a 98 dodge dakota 3.9l?

My temp gauge reads about 175°F warmed up. My souls ultra scan tool reads 172°F, but my thermostat is rated at 180°F. Is this problem since the stat won't fully open? Plus my truck takes forever to warm up with with minimal heat from the vent. I changed the stat. I bleed air from the cooling system and flushed the heater core.

Normal operating temperature for an engine ranges from around 200 to 220 degrees. For some reason your engine must not be getting warm enough. I would recommend using the thermostat that the manufacturer recommends in order to keep the engine at the proper temperature.