Q: What Kinds of Wiper Blades Are Available?

What kinds of wiper blades are available?

There are many types of wiper blades to choose from today with traditional factory replacement or OEM (original equipment manufacturer) parts, up to special dual and triple blades, or winter blades that combat freezing of the wiper arm and ice buildup on the wiper arms.

Some wiper blades have articulating sections that help to hold the blades flat to the windshield. There are others that are composite one-piece blades. There are also multiple blade styles, and blades whose side sections are sealed to keep snow and ice from accumulating and causing them to freeze, which would decrease their efficiency.

Blades also come in premium, racing and again winter performance styles. There are even single blades that have multiple sides edges to wipe the windshield three or four times with each passing swipe of the arm assembly.

Choosing the right type for your particular application depends on the conditions you usually drive under and the area of the county you live in plays a big role as well. I found that the blade style that hugs the window profile the most is the best choice whatever brand or style that turns out to be, but of course you should always start by considering the design that was made specifically for your vehicle.

Replace your windshield wipers on average at least twice a year to insure proper operation in all conditions or when you notice streaking, skipping, lack of blade flipping or torn rubber hanging from the edge of the blades. Wipers are essentially small squeegees that clear in both directions when activated, so a flexible arm or blade that has a good clean edge is the best wiper available not matter what style you choose.

3. What Kinds of Wiper Blades Are Available?