Q: What is the Safety Canopy® system and how does it work?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What is the Safety Canopy® system and how does it work?

While you have front air bags for the driver and front passenger, as well as side air bags for both front seats, the entire vehicle is protected by what’s called the Safety Canopy® system. Essentially this is a connected series of side curtain air bags that runs both sides of the vehicle. It connects the side air bags in the front to an intermediary air bag and then to a side air bag over the passenger seat. Here’s what you should know about the system:

• It will deploy during certain types of impacts (depending on the severity).

• The air bags are mounted in the ceiling, and will drop down between you (and your passengers) and the windows and doors.

• The Safety Canopy® system may deploy during rollovers.

• If the Safety Canopy® doesn’t deploy, it does not mean that there is anything wrong with the system.