Q: CC-ID 31

Hi,

My mini has the check engine light on. I visited the dealership for a full inspection, they said the thermostat needs changing.

I've been noticing oil level decreasing faster than usual. Today I drove for a longer distance (70 miles), and I started seeing smoke inside the cabin, looks like the oil is burning.

Does it make sense to change the thermostat to resolve this? or is it unrelated?

I've already booked a YourMechanic appointment requesting thermostat replacement.

Also, do you do inspection, and apply the cost toward fixes? In other words, can my mechanic on the next appointment replace the thermostat and check the issue with the oil level, then fix it if needed without an extra fee for the inspection?

Thanks

The rate of oil consumption is unrelated to the condition of the cooling system thermostat. If oil consumption has recently increased, and you detect oil vapors in the cabin, it is likely that there is an oil leak. If the origin of the leak is fairly obvious, I’m sure the mechanic will be glad to inform you of the location while he is there anyway. However, if the leak is not obvious, and to diagnose it requires cleaning the engine of any existing oil residues and dirt and then using a fluorescent dye to pinpoint the leak, that involves some diagnostic cost. In all events, the mechanic will assist you and work with you to keep the cost as low as possible. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.