Q: when traveling a long distance my car will not accelerate over 60 my old Nissan did this as well. Is this a known issue?

I live in CO and took a 4 hour trip to wyoming. before even hitting the state line my car started to act up. It almost sounds like something is trying to rev up but the car will not let me go faster than 60MPH and will not shift at all. If i put the car in nutral and give it gas the RMPS go up just fine. I had the same issue with my old nissan but there has to be a fix.

A: Hello. Your particular model of Altima is...

Hello.

Your particular model of Altima is equipped with a CVT transmission that will automatically put itself in a safe mode if the transmission fluid level reaches too high of a temperature. If the fluid temperature climbs too high, the transmission can be seriously damaged, so when excessive temperature is detected the computer will put the transmission into safe mode, which will result in reduced power and acceleration. This usually occurs when the vehicle has been put under harsh driving conditions, such as steep inclines or long trips in hot weather. Usually, pulling over and letting the transmission cool down will solve the issue.

If the problem persists, however, or occurs even under normal or light driving conditions, then that may be a sign of a potential issue with the transmission. If the issue persists, I would recommend having the acceleration and shifting issue checked out by a professional technician to determine what course of action should be taken.