Q: What is happening with my car. I turn the key on, and no lights in the dashboard and anywhere else in the car.

What is happening with my car. I turn the key on, and no lights in the dashboard and anywhere else in the car. I tried jumping the battery, and my car starts and runs after maybe 5 minutes of charging. I can drive it after the jump start. But when I turn it off, the same thing happen,, when I turn it on again. No lights in the dashboard and it won't start. Thinking it was a dead battery, I put in a new battery. But when I start the card still there is no light in the dashboard, doom light, and won't start. I made sure the battery clamps were tight. Thank you.

You may have a failing voltage regulator that could be allowing the alternator to supply too much or too little amperage to the battery resulting in the battery never maintaining a consistent charge as it is designed to. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator. When the voltage regulator is not working properly, this may result in the alternator allowing too much power to be delivered to the battery resulting in damaging wires and prematurely sometimes destroying the battery. A common sign of this is usually the acid inside the battery boiling causing the battery to swell. You may also smell a bit of smoke due to things potentially getting too hot. In other cases it may result in the alternator not supplying enough power to the battery, resulting in undercharging the battery or not charging it at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your vehicle’s charging system.

3. What is happening with my car. I turn the key on, and no lights in the dashboard and anywhere else in the car.