Q: What is a camshaft positioning sensor for

What is a camshaft positioning sensor on an Infiniti fx-35 for and what's does it do

A: Thank you for your question about your 2005...

Thank you for your question about your 2005 Infiniti FX35.

The camshaft position sensor gathers and sends information about the vehicle’s camshaft speed, and sends it to the vehicle’s electronic control module. The computer receives this information and then uses the data to determine the timing of the ignition, as well as the timing of the fuel injection that the engine requires. Without this information, the engine would not be able to function properly. Over time, the camshaft position sensor can fail due to normal wear and tear. There are a few warning signs to watch out for before your camshaft position sensor completely fails and shuts down the engine, indicating service may be required.

1. Vehicle does not drive like it used to

If your vehicle has poor idling, frequent stalling, a drop in engine power, frequent stumbling, bad gas mileage, or abnormal acceleration, these are all signs your camshaft position sensor is failing. If you have any of these symptoms, this means the camshaft position sensor needs to be replaced by a professional mechanic as soon as possible. It needs to be completed before the engine cuts out and dies while you are driving, or does not start at all.

2. Check Engine Light comes on

The Check Engine Light will come on once the camshaft position sensor starts to go bad. Since this light can come on for a variety of different reasons, it is best to have the vehicle looked at by a professional. The mechanic will read the computer and see what error codes are being shown, and diagnose the problem much faster. If you ignore the Check Engine Light, it can lead to serious engine problems, such as the engine failing.

3. Vehicle will not start

If the other problems are ignored, eventually the vehicle will not start. As the camshaft position sensor weakens, the signal it transmits to the vehicle’s computerized control system also weakens. Eventually, the signal will weaken so much the signal will switch off, and so will the engine. This can happen while the vehicle is parked, or while you are driving. The latter can be a dangerous situation.

As soon as you notice your vehicle does not drive like it used to, the Check Engine Light is on, or the vehicle will not start properly, the sensor may need to be replaced. This problem should not be ignored because eventually the engine will stop working, perhaps at an inopportune time leaving you stuck.

If you need assistance with diagnostics or replacement of the Camshaft Position Sensor, feel free to contact YourMechanic at any time and we will help you further.