Q: What does the engine coolant temperature gauge do?

What does the engine coolant temperature gauge do?

A: You have a number of important gauges, read...

You have a number of important gauges, readouts and lights on the dash. The engine coolant temperature gauge is one of the most critical. It measures the temperature of your engine’s coolant. During normal driving, it should stay in the middle range, between the hot and cold markers. However, if you notice it moving into the red portion of the gauge, it means that your engine is beginning to overheat. This could be because of heavy loads while driving (driving up steep hills, for instance) or it could be a sign of something more serious, like a coolant leak or low coolant levels.

If the gauge moves into the red, find somewhere safe to pull over. Let the engine cool down, and then check coolant levels and for leaks.