Q: What does the CV axle go into?

asked by on February 11, 2018

My CV shaft is brand new but when I replaced it the broke the seal thing that goes around the cv axle into the box. What is this rubber piece called and how much will it cost just to replace it?

Axle Shaft Seal Replacement $110.63 - $3656.80 Get a Quote

That is the transmission output shaft seal, also known as the CV axle shaft seal. The seal should not be re-used anyway so I wouldn’t consider this a mistake. Even if you don’t damage the seal during axle replacement, once you remove a CV shaft and re-install it, often the shaft seal will leak and then you have to do the job all over again to get to the seal. If you desire replacement of the seal, please refer to YourMechanic’s CV shaft seal replacement service page. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.