Q: What does it mean when your wheels are at 40%?

A mechanic will say that your back wheels are at 40% and the front are at 60%.

The mechanic is letting you know either how much brake pad or tire life is left on them. For instance, a mechanic might let a customer know that the rear tires have 40% life left on them or the brake pads have 40% life left on them. Sometimes, instead of stating the percentage that the pads or tires are worn, a measurement will be given, such as the rear tires have 5/32 tread left. Most tires start with between 12/32 to 15/32 when new and are worn out at about 2/32.

3. What does it mean when your wheels are at 40%?