Q: What does it mean if the Seat Belt Light comes on in the dash?

What does it mean if the Seat Belt Light comes on in the dash?

A: The only lifesaving devices your car includ...

The only lifesaving devices your car includes are your seat belts. Even the air bags aren’t considered “lifesaving” by the US government. If the Seat Belt Light in the dash is on, it could indicate a couple of different things:

• The system is conducting a self-test. The light should go out within a few seconds of starting the engine (as long as you’re buckled up).

• Either the driver or the front passenger is not buckled up.

Tip

If you’re not buckled in, you’ll see the Seat Belt Light, but also hear a warning chime sound.