Q: What do the various “door ajar” warnings mean in the message center?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What do the various “door ajar” warnings mean in the message center?

The “door ajar” warnings in the message center could indicate a number of things. Usually the door ajar warnings are an indication that one or more of the vehicle doors are open. However, there are some cases when this is an indication of another problem.

Each door has a switch inside the latch of the door and there may be up to five (5) door ajar switches for a vehicle:

• Driver’s side door ajar switch
  • Passenger’s side door ajar switch
  • Right rear door ajar switch
  • Left rear door ajar switch
  • Rear latch/trunk door ajar switch

After checking to make sure that all of the vehicle doors have been shut properly and there isn’t anything obstructing the door or trunk, check to see if the door ajar indicator lights have turned off in the message center. If they have not, there are several possibilities that could explain this:

• The Door Ajar Warning Indicator Light dimmer needs to be adjusted
  • The door ajar switch is stuck and needs to be lubricated
  • A fuse box relay for the interior lights needs to be replaced
  • A faulty door ajar switch needs to be replaced

If your Door Ajar Warning Light is on in the message center and you need assistance determining why it will not go off, it would be a great idea to have the door diagnosed by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.