Q: What conditions might affect the signal from my remote or electronic key?

What conditions might affect the signal from my remote or electronic key?

A: While your remote or electronic key might b...

While your remote or electronic key might be pretty advanced in terms of technology, there are some conditions that will affect operation and signal strength. When this happens, the weak radio waves emitted from the key or remote may not reach the antennas on your car. Here are the most common conditions that might limit operation:

• Battery is dead (in the key or remote)

• You’re near a strong signal source, such as a power plant or a radio station tower

• A cellphone or other cordless device is close to the key or remote

• When a metallic object covers or touches the electronic key

• Several electronic keys are close together

• You’re carrying the electronic key and a laptop, another car’s electronic key or a similar device

• You’ve added window tint with metallic components