Q: What are the various heating and air conditioning controls?

What are the various heating and air conditioning controls?

Your car’s heating and air conditioning system (HVAC) is pretty advanced, and offers the means to keep the interior of the vehicle comfortable throughout the year. Of course, you need to know how to operate it, which means knowing what all the buttons and knobs do. Here’s what you should know:

• Fan: This knob lets you adjust the fan/blower speed.

• Rear Defrost: Press this to turn on the rear defrost.

• Defrost: Press this to turn on the front defrost, which is a separate system from the rear.

• Defrost and Lower Vents: Turns on the lower vents at your feet and the front defrost.

• Power: Press this to turn the system on and off. When it’s off, no air will blow from the vents.

• Upper Vents: Turns on the upper vents only.

• Split Vents: Turns on the upper and lower vents.

• Temp Control: Turn this to adjust the temperature in the vehicle.

• Heated Seats: Press these buttons (there are two) to turn on the driver or passenger side heated seats.

• Recirculate: Push this button to change from fresh air to recirculated air and back again.

• Max A/C: Push this to engage maximum cooling.

• A/C: Push this for normal air conditioning.

• Outside Temp: If your car’s equipped with it, this readout tells you what the temperature is outside.

3. What are the various heating and air conditioning controls?