Q: Water in combustion chamber

asked by on April 24, 2017

OK I was going on the interstate at 70 miles an hour when I lost power of the car it wouldn't accelerate then I noticed that my thermostat was maxed out it was hot My car got hot completely hot then it died I rolled it off into a gas station parking lot let it cool down put some more water in it and when I try start the car to to circulate the water my car wouldn't crank, crank but it wouldn't start. After I got it home and changed the oil and the thermostat clean the spark plugs put it all back together and tried to crank the car again the car cranks but doesn't start so I took the spark plugs back out to see if there is any water in the combustion chamber and there was a lot of water it was pushing out a lot of water mixed with gas and a little oil I guess I'm assuming the timing belt slipped a tooth or two through everything cut out of whack and again correction the car has over 200,000 miles on it. So I'm pretty sure it's a blown head gasket or cracked head.

Yes, there is some damage but everything is repairable. I have the 1991 version of this car by the way. I would imagine it will last another 10 years or so (only rust kills them). With regard to your car, you can repair the engine, get a used engine by using Car-Part.com or put in a rebuilt engine. With your existing engine, if the head and block are not warped (they will have to be measured), and there was no valve or cylinder damage from the heat, and no cracks, you could install a head gasket. At 200,000 miles though, it might be more efficient while you have it apart to just rebuild the engine, particularly if the rest of the car is serviceable. If you are interested in an engine replacement, YourMechanic professionals in certain locales can assist with that. Please simply inquire based on your locale. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.