Q: Water hose burst

I have a replica 1934 Mercedes-Benz 500K Roadster. The water hose connected to the water pump burst, and the car won't start. I'm not sure if my battery has sufficient charge to start the car. The front headlights don't come on. I suspect a problem with the light switch.

A: Hello. If the engine is not cranking at all...

Hello. If the engine is not cranking at all, then it may be the battery. I typically load test the battery first before going any further. Many times when you get an engine that won’t start after a serious coolant loss, it is because the engine overheated and the engine is now locked. If I suspect this, I typically try turning the engine over by hand at the crank pulley. If I cannot crank it then the engine is bad. If I can, then I need to move on and test the starter.

As for the light switch, if it is not controlling the operation of the lights then it may be bad. If you are going to have someone check this out, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your vehicle’s issues and recommend the appropriate repairs.