Vehicle will start but turns off when put into gears 2003...

Q: Vehicle will start but turns off when put into gears

asked by on December 28, 2016

Vehicle turns on but cuts off when put into gear

Hello, thank you for writing in. When the transmission is put into gear, the engine is demanded to work under slightly different conditions. It is these changes that are likely triggering the engine to stall. The Torque converter lock up solenoid may be one of the components preventing the engine from running while in gear. However, there are several other components that will cause these types of symptoms. They include all of the components necessary for proper engine function. The intake air temperature and pressure sensors also play a major role in performance of the engine while in gear. Check these along with possibly having the vehicle scanned for codes. Between these tests, you should be able to turn your attention to one component or system. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.