Q: Vehicle starts then immediately dies (injectors cut out).

My 2004 Denali is not starting properly. The car has started and driven fine in the past with no issues. A few days ago I removed the battery to splice in a new seat connector that had shorted out. Today, after putting the seats and battery back in, the car will not run.

With the key in ON the DIC does not light up. The engine cranks and starts but then immediately dies. It seems as though the injectors are being cut off by the security system.

After the car dies, the DIC lights up saying "unknown driver" rather than "driver 1". Following this, the security light illuminates for 1-2 seconds then turns off.

Why is the car not recognizing the key? How do I make it recognize the key and start again? I have performed a security reset by cranking the key, leaving it for 10 minutes, turning it off few seconds and repeating twice but it did not reset the passcode. I am at a total loss...please help!

Hi there. The issue you are facing is when the seat power was routed directly from the battery. The power from the seat comes from the fuse panel which is spliced into the security and ECM systems. The ECM is trying to locate the driver 1 position, but it will not find it for it cannot supply power to the seat. Also, the security will become active as if the vehicle was to have the seat moved to any position without having the computer acknowledge the position of the seat. I recommend removing the additional power wire to the seat and repairing the burned wires that the seat originally was equipped with. If you need further assistance with your indicator lights coming on for the seat, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Vehicle starts then immediately dies (injectors cut out).