Q: van runs lean or low on first start of the day.

the first time I start my van every day, I get a low rough idle for a few minutes. then it is totally fine all day. when I restart my van after having driven at regular distance at normal temp it revs high for a couple seconds and the temp gauge goes up to nearly 3/4's full and steadily lowers to normal temp. perhaps a coolest temperature sensor?

A: This may be a sign of a failing idle air co...

This may be a sign of a failing idle air control valve. The idle air control valve is located on or near your intake manifold that monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine. This valve is controlled by the vehicle's computer which will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage.

When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed. However, when the engine RPM drops below the normal range of 800 RPM (for most cars), it is more than likely that you are dealing with an IAC valve problem. In cases where this valve is clogged or is failing, your vehicle will stall instead of slowing to an idle after the release of the throttle.

The overheating may be caused by many things such as low coolant levels, a faulty thermostat, or a failing coolant fan switch. As you may know the coolant fan switch helps to maintain the proper coolant temperature by turning on and off at specific temperature thresholds. When this switch is not working properly, this can cause the fans to come on intermittently, all the time or sometimes not at all. When this happens you will notice a temperature spike and drop occasionally as the fan comes on and off. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to replace your idle air control valve.