Q: Van malfunctioning with no inside power.

We took our son to Karate last night. When arriving, turned off the car, and locked the doors. When we returned I put the key in the ignition and the car had a rough start. No dome lights, gauges, or inside power came on but we heard the engine running rough and sputtering. No other signs of power. You could rev the engine but it sounded like it was bogging out as it slowed. Turned the key to the off position and the van wouldn't turn off, took the key out and it was still running hard. My husband clogged the air supply to get it to shut off on its own. Once we got it off, it no longer would start and we continued with no inside power, headlights, etc. it will turn over with no inside power but will not start. We unhooked the battery to try to reset the computer, but no luck. We have no idea what is going on, there have been no other problems leading up to this.

Your van may have a totally integrated power module that has failed to turn on. You can try and remove the keys, lock all the doors, cycle the door locks with the remote to lock and unlock the doors. If there is still no power to anything, then I suggest having the system scanned to see if the power module needs to be replaced and programmed to work with your key. This may have require you to have your vehicle towed to a dealer for the replacement and programming of the new part.

3. Van malfunctioning with no inside power.