Q: Unsuccessful dealership repairs for stereo/navigation system

It must be 30 times that I have been to the Mercedes-Benz dealership. They either can't fix the problem or else they are swapping car parts around and thus I have a continued problem with my stereo/navigation system. About once or twice a month, sound doesn't come out of the left-side speakers. It is always the left side only. One thing that does solve the problem is to restart my car and let it sit for a few minutes (or sometimes hours) after which the sound will return. But what a pain and loss of time.

Twice the dealership has changed the headunit and the amplifies - but the problem still persists and last month it broke again. The mechanic replaced the headunit once again, but I found out that he installed a "Remanufactured" unit!! I didn't know that Mercedes-Benz uses refurbished parts. After getting my car, the navigation system broke down while driving home. I called the Mercedes-Benz representative and was told they don't make new parts for headunits. They haven't responded further, for three weeks, regarding my inquiries that I want a 'new' unit. I'm thinking the stereo problem is not with the head unit because that was replaced before and it never solved a thing. Can you please give me advice on what to do in order to get this problem repaired and fixed? Thank you.

Thanks for writing in about your 2001 Mercedes-Benz E430. If the issue is only on the left side and both the amplifier and head unit have been exchanged, the issue is most likely in the wiring between the amplifier and head unit. Continuity of the wiring needs to be checked, and the connector ends need to be looked at. Hooking up a scope to observe the signal both leaving the head unit and entering the amplifier for the left channels should be looked at to see if there is any time that the signal drops off either at the head unit or amplifier. Have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your electrical system and assist you with the appropriate repair.

3. Unsuccessful dealership repairs for stereo/navigation system