Q: Steering wheel squeaks in reverse and when turning

asked by on September 26, 2016

I heard a squeaking noise in the steering wheel while I was going in reverse at about 5 mph. The squeaking can also be heard intermittently, at any speed, when I turn left or right. My mechanic told me that the steering would need a flush exchange, which he did; however, the problem still persists. Yesterday I took my SUV to the dealership and I am waiting to hear back from them. While I’m waiting, what do you think is the problem with my SUV?

Serpentine/Drive Belt Replacement $95.69 - $301.27 Get a Quote
Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Since the noise appears to occur while turning, I would have your mechanic check for a loose or failing accessory drive belt (often called a ’serpentine" belt). Turning puts more load on this belt, and it may be slipping. A certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the squeak noise and proceed with the correct repairs.