Q: Underpowered and shaking under load

My car, when under load is shaking and not performing well. I thought it might be a bad spark plug, so I got new plugs, then I thought it could be a plug wire, so I tried that, and that wasn't it. Last I tried replacing the wire to the distributor, but to no avail. I have no idea what to do now, so please help me.

Hi there. This may suggest a fuel delivery problem such as bad or dirty fuel injectors or potentially a faulty O2 sensor. As you may know, the oxygen sensors which are part of your emissions system read exhaust gases to determine whether or not the appropriate amount of oxygen is present in the exhaust. Based upon this reading, this information is relayed to the car’s ECU which then makes a determination as to whether or not to add more or less fuel to the engine. When too much or too little oxygen is present, this will cause Check Engine Light to come on.

Too much oxygen may be present in the exhaust gas due to things like an exhaust leak, a vacuum leak, a faulty mass air flow sensor (causing a lean fuel condition) or faulty fuel injectors.

Too little oxygen may be present in the exhaust gas may be caused by things like a clogged air filter, a failing mass air flow sensor (causing too much fuel to be introduced to the motor), bad fuel injectors or a clogged catalytic converter. When the O2 sensor is not working properly, this will cause false readings to be relayed to the computer causing inaccurate adjustments to be made to the intake and fuel system in your engine. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to inspect the loss of power and pinpoint the proper repair.

3. Underpowered and shaking under load