Q: Trickling water noise under hood

A good bit of the time when I start to let out the clutch and depress the gas pedal, the car makes a trickling sound - like trickling water. It sounds like it’s coming from somewhere under the hood and it continues as I accelerate. The dealer told me that they can’t find any problem. What do you think is causing this sound?

The sound you’re hearing may be caused by an exhaust leak. A small exhaust leak close to the engine makes a sound similar to what you’re describing. It will normally only occur during acceleration. You may be able to pinpoint the location by listening when the engine is running, and having an assistant rev up the engine just a little bit. A piece of hose (like 2 or 3 feet of garden hose) makes a great stethoscope. Listen around the exhaust manifold but be cautious to keep your fingers and that hose away from the belt! If you would rather have someone inspect the noise for you, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to check out the car and figure out what repairs are needed.