Q: Transmission slowly dying, can no longer use my car

My 2007 GMC Acadia is now totally not drivable thanks to the transmission failing. I am not too happy with this, but I have known for some time now. Several months and 10,000 miles ago, the transmission started straining between gears and clunking a lot. Finally, last week it would not even get into first gear. Very disappointed. Is it common to replace the transmission with 105,000 miles? Cars I’ve had before had not had issues like this.

The transmissions in most vehicles last a long time and well over 100,000 miles, if taken care of and not abused. I did find an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) campaign number 14404a that is for loss of reverse, 3rd and 5th gears. If this was your issue it is because of a broken wave plate inside the transmission. The dealer will replace parts as listed in campaign and you could have to pay for items not listed as covered in the campaign. The campaign extended warranty coverage for the issue to 10 years or 100,000 miles. You are still under that and should contact your dealer before paying for any repairs. If you already had repairs done, you may be able to get reimbursement from the manufacturer.