Q: Transmission slips when cold but shifts perfect when at operating temperature.

asked by on March 31, 2016

1999 Honda accord coupe V6 automatic... When the car is cold the transmission will stay in neutral or slam me into gear then slip out of gear. But if I turn the car on and let it run for half an hour, getting to operating temperature. The transmission shifts smooth and doesn't slip into neutral... The fluid is good and there are no leaks. I really don't want to buy a new transmission because I know it's good, there just some component acting up. Please help. I've invested to much money in this car, to give up on it.

Your transmission may have defective pressure and control solenoids or could have bad seals inside the transmission. Either way you will need to have a qualified transmission mechanic run a diagnostic check to see if you are having internal leakage from leaking seals. The seals are the most common problem and would require a transmission overhaul to fix. I recommend having a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose why your vehicle is intermittently hard to shift.