Q: Transmission seems to go in low gear when braking

Transmission seems to go in low gear when braking

Check you transmission fluid level with the vehicle in park while warmed up. Add ATF F fluid if necessary.

Your vehicle is also known for Idle Air Control (IAC) valve or vacuum leak issues. The IAC valve is located on top of the engine and will cause the RPMs to drop or raise. It is easy to change if you are having the symptoms.

A vacuum leak can be determined by spraying your engine (top side) with a flammable liquid like brake cleaner and listening for a change in the RPM. If you hear a hissing noise while hitting the brakes, you have a bad brake booster. A proper diagnosis of your transmission with special tools can help you narrow the problem down.