Q: transmission not in park

I was driving home from work and I was pulling in on the driveway so I had put the car in park, when I had let go of break it was still driving. The car is reading transmission not in park, its saying its on drive. What can I do?

A: Hi there. What gear does it show when this ...

Hi there. What gear does it show when this occurs? Place the shifter in neutral and apply the parking brake, turn off the engine. Is the check engine light on? This could be a shifter concern, interlock switch concern, gear selector/switch concern, an internal transmission concern, or something may have fallen into the shifter housing and causing and preventing the shifter from moving into the park position. Were there any other symptoms prior to this occurring? I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car does not shift into park.