Q: transmission

Took truck to mechanic because ac not cool enough. The ac got fixed, however mechanic noticed we needed a fan clutch. No problem. All went well, until we noticed intermittent high pitched sound when there was a load. Mechanic changed out alternator and fan clutch to no avail. They only charged a little for labor. Well a few days later we noticed it would not shift into high gear, So we stopped the truck and turned the engine off, and when started back up it shifted properly. Now the rpms go up when it does not shift. The rpms are normal when it does. We have a good mechainic. He just has not figured it out. He thinks it is the transmission. could use some help joe

A: This could be a lack of vacuum or potential...

This could be a lack of vacuum or potentially a bad shift solenoid. Most modern transmissions operate on vacuum actuated controls and solenoids both of which commonly fail at times which will cause the lack of or intermittent shifting problem you describe. If you would like a second opinion on your vehicle, consider a certified technician from YourMechanic who can come to your home or office, inspect your vehicle and make necessary repairs.