Q: Transmission

My car transmission moves from D to N sometime and it goes from D to R at other times. Every time I try to put it on D it goes to D then go back to N or R by itself. Can't figure this out. Any help will be appreciated!

This one is very tough to say what is going on. I personally haven’t worked on a Mitsubishi Outlander so I don’t have any experience with this particular symptom. I suspect this would be the case for many of us. It’s also not clear whether or not this is happening while driving and does it affect the transmission operation or is it just the lights on the dash or center console doing this.

These are two very different situations. There doesn’t seem to be any reports of similar symptoms, which is another reason I won’t have much to offer with this one. I can say, if it drives normally, it is likely a small glitch possibly related to the park neutral safety switch. Other possibilities include transmissions issues, (this would show up while driving), or a TCM (transmission control module problem). I recommend having a certified technician inspect your transmission issue for you to determine what needs to be done next. Leave notes about what exactly you need diagnosed so the mechanic can plan for your visit.