Q: tranny swap

I have a 86 chevy scottsdale that is a 4x4 and it has a 3 speed manual with overdrive. i am the second owner and this truck is in pristine condition but i dont like the manual tranny. i was wondering if i could switch it to auto but still have the shifter come up through the same hole in floor just because of the fwd shifter. is there a certain kind of tranny and shifter that would bolt up to my transfer case? i really dont want to start cutting holes or tearing parts off that would devalue the truck. thanks a bunch.

A: Yes, this is in fact a common conversion th...

Yes, this is in fact a common conversion that many people have about these trucks. In terms of the kind of transmission that may bolt up to your application (305 cubic inch Chevy), a Turbo H350 or Turbo H400 or even a 700R4 transmission would bolt up perfectly since these were often an option in the same truck for those years. The beauty of this would be that since there is already a hole in the floor, there should not require much modification to the floor as there should already be an existing hole there for your current shifter. One thing that you will need to check and confirm when making the swap is the drive shaft going from the transmission to the transfer case. You may need to have this modified for the proper length as they may be slightly different going from a manual transmission to an automatic. Ideally, if you could find any of the above mentioned transmissions used from another 4x4 in the same era, this would be a great fit.