Q: Torque issues

My jeep will have more and less power from time to time. When I first start it up between 1st and 2nd gear it will slip pretty Bad. Sometimes it will slam into 2nd. And this morning it was leaking tranny fluid.

A: Hi there. If the slipping problem goes away...

Hi there. If the slipping problem goes away when the car warms up, then it is most likely a seal or solenoid failing. As a vehicle ages, rubber seals begin to get hard and they don’t seal as they should. When the transmission warms up, the seals soften and they begin to seal again.

If it does it all the time, then the clutches inside the transmission are worn out, a shift solenoid is failing or possibly the shift cable needs adjustment. The external leak could be a sign of a bigger problem, such as a cracked transmission case. To determine what is happening, I recommend that you have a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the shifting issue firsthand to have this corrected.