Q: Timing chain is a really pricey problem

Last time my Check Engine light was on in my 2010 Chevrolet Traverse (93k miles) I ended up replacing the whole timing chain at great personal expense. Now the light is coming back on the turning off every couple hours. Not sure why, there are no other issues and there's no discernible pattern. Should I be concerned? Is it normal to just have this problem inspected?

A: Hello, since there are many reasons the che...

Hello, since there are many reasons the check engine light may come on, I don't believe you should be concerned, but you should have your Check Engine light diagnosed by a professional at YourMechanics to be safe. The good news is that there are no other issue besides the light coming on and off. Since you recently had the timing chain replaced, you should stop by the shop to ensure that the light is not related to the replacement. If it was related to the repairs that were just completed, they should be able to help you take care of it, if it was not, then they could help diagnose the new issue. As with all major powertrain repairs, always check the possibility of it being covered by the manufacturer by calling them with your vehicle identification number.