Q: Ticking noise in engine - 2002 Ford Explorer

I recently noticed a ticking noise coming from my engine. In my previous experiences i have head the same noise when the oil is low or needs to be changed. It has most often been associate with a mucked up lifter valve. How would i go about resolving the tick

Hi there. First, check the oil level to the engine. If the level is low, then fill up the oil and check for any leaks. If the level is normal, then I recommend adding 1 quart of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) to the engine. Run the engine at 3000 RPM’s for 15 minutes.

Change the oil and filter and put in high mileage oil with either Mobil 1 or Valvoline. This should cure the noise (lifter tap). If the noise does not go away, then the lifters in the cylinder head of the engine are sticking and need replacing. If you need further assistance diagnosing your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to help you with your vehicle.