Q: The hatch on the vehicle will not open unless both the lever and hatch are pulled up at the same time.

On this hatch back I have to jam a piece under the trunk pop lever then go to the back and and pull up on the hatch in order to open it. I want, and am pretty sure it's possible to pull the lever once and have the truck stay open. I want to know if it's more likely to be the pneumatic springs that keep the hatch open, or a mechanical issue with the trunk latch. The pneumatic springs do a fine job keeping the hatch to stay open, but I'm sure they've not been replaced for the life of the car. So my question is, is there something easy I can tweak on the latch or, should I just get new springs?

You will need to inspect the rear hatch when it is open. Check the left and right side to see if the two rubber stop bumpers are present. These rubber bumpers can be adjusted outwards to put pressure on the latch when it is closed, so that when you pull the lever to open it, the hatch pops up to clear the latch.

If the rubber bumpers are present and are adjusted out as far as they can without falling out, you will need to adjust the latch down by about a quarter of an inch at a time. You can do this by loosening the latch lock bolts enough to move the latch down by a little at a time and tightening the bolts. Try the hatch operation after each adjustment. Keep lowering the latch until hatch pops and stays open when the lever is pulled.

3. The hatch on the vehicle will not open unless both the lever and hatch are pulled up at the same time.