Q: The car cuts off when it stops in traffic

I've been having some engine problems lately. The car has a high mileage of around 250,000 miles and recently, it started shutting down. It usually happens when I stop the car at a stop light or in similar situations. At that moment, most of the electronics would work, such as lights and radio but the gas pedal and steering wheel would lock up. I had the valve replaced along with two sensors. The issue persists in spite of this. What is causing this? How can I fix it? Thank you.

A: If the engine stalls at a light then you ma...

If the engine stalls at a light then you may lose the throttle and power steering assist. The stalling may be caused by several different things on a high mileage vehicle.

The idle control system should be looked at along with the transmission lock up overdrive system to see if the transmission is causing the stall, or the engine is not idling correctly.

You can try and move the shift selector into Neutral at a stop light to eliminate the transmission causing the issue. If the problem goes away when you put it into Neutral, then the lock up solenoid is keeping the transmission locked in overdrive and this will stall the engine at stops. If the problem is still there, then the computer should be checked and the engine checked to see the cause.