Q: The car continously switches off in the morning, basically it has a cold start but once on the road it is fine

My car continuously switches off in the morning but once it is on the road and the engine heated a little it is fine. We took it to the mechanic and he says that he cannot understand why the cold start. Once on a long stretch their is absolutely no problem with the vehicle.

Hello. Issues during cold start can be caused by many things. A few common causes are issues with the engine management or fuel system. Virtually all engines are designed to run with an increased amount of fuel during cold starts, to help the engine start and warm up when it is cold, and to run differently when up to temperature or under heavy loads. The computer uses the fuel and engine management systems to make these calculations, and if there is an issue with either of these systems, perhaps in the form of a faulty sensor they may throw off the computer’s calculations and cause performance issues. I would start by looking at the vehicle’s fuel and engine temperature sensors, as these are two of the main engine management sensors that function based on temperature. If you would like a precise diagnosis, have a certified professional, like one from YourMechanic, pinpoint the cause of the cold starting problem so that this can be repaired appropriately.

3. The car continously switches off in the morning, basically it has a cold start but once on the road it is fine