Q: The battery keeps getting drained and dying out

The battery in my car is getting drained and eventually dies out. I had it replaced several times since I bought the car. I found out that it is probably the engine computer that keeps draining the battery power. The battery dies if the car is sitting for a about a week. Do you have any suggestion how I could keep the battery from getting drained? Can the computer software be reprogramed somehow?

Hello. It is possible that the your 2003 Lexus SC430’s computer is draining the battery during the time that it is not being driven. It is never a good idea to let a car sit for extended periods of time without the engine being run or driven.

If this problem only happens after the car has been sitting for a week or so, this may be caused by something else. Running the engine or driving the car may solve the problem. If it does not, it is also possible that there is a problem with the electric/charging system of your car. If the alternator is faulty and overcharging the battery, it may cause the battery to lose its charge faster than it should. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and complete an inspection of the electric system in order to properly diagnose your problem and make the necessary repair.