Q: Temp gauge reads cold sometimes and engine noise that might be from belt

Recently I found out that my water pump has a very small leak, at the same time I have experienced issues with my temp gauge not reaching the normal temp, but remaining colder than usual. Some days it goes back to normal and stays there for about a week before it acts up again but I then hear a sound from the engine that sounds like it is coming from my belt or something not spinning correctly. I also have experienced my battery not being fully charged when I start but it charges within 30 seconds after startup but hasnt died on me at any point. Is any of this related to my alternator, the water pump, or is it all separate issues?

The water pump leak raises the possibility of the pump failing. If the pump does not turn properly that could cause noise and, if bad enough, might cause the alternator to turn slower (the water pump and alternator use the same belt). The water pump should be replaced promptly so that sudden, complete failure of the pump doesn’t leave you stranded. The temperature gauge fluctuation could be due to a faulty sending unit, faulty thermostat or even a coolant level that is too low (you do have a leak and so there could be a link, if you are not replenishing the coolant). When the water pump is replaced, the thermostat should be replaced, too, to rule out a faulty thermostat. If you want to schedule the necessary repairs, please refer to YourMechanic’s water pump replacement service page. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Temp gauge reads cold sometimes and engine noise that might be from belt