Q: Sway arm broken

Do I have to replace the sway arm or can I drive without it?

Technically, as long as the sway bar doesn’t come into contact with other moving parts, or rub on other critical components, you should still be able to operate the vehicle. You will need to understand that the handling will definitely be altered. The way the vehicle reacts when turning, or when hitting bumps, may be affected greatly and could cause a hazardous situation. It really depends on where it has broken, if it is the front or rear, and the driving conditions the vehicle normally is used in. If you feel you could use a hand in diagnosing/repairing the problem, contact a certified mechanic, like the mobile mechanics available at YourMechanic.com.

3. Sway arm broken