Q: Key gets stuck in the ignition and is hard to get out

asked by on November 06, 2015

On multiple occasions, my key has become stuck in the ignition of my 2011 Toyota Tundra. This is really inconvenient when it happens and it can take a minute or two of moving the key around to finally get it loose. A couple of times I was in a hurry and left it, good thing i’m out in the country! How big of a repair is this? I would hate to drop thousands of dollars on a new truck with only 48,000 miles on it.

Provided that you can turn your key to the off position where you would normally pull it out, it appears that the tumblers in your key cylinder are sticking or binding, preventing the key from being extracted. A quick simple thing that you should do first is spray an anti-seize penetrant directly into the keyhole, preferably a graphite based one. Then pull the key in and out of the lock to work the penetrant into the tumblers. If this doesn’t solve your issue, then you will have to have the ignition cylinder lock replaced by a professional.

A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can inspect and diagnose your key and ignition issue at your home or office and advise you on any repairs that will solve the problem. This is not a very big job, but it does take someone who knows what they are doing.