Q: excessive gas consumption, loud noise, check engine light is on

I have a 98 Nissan Altima that is making a loud noise, there is excessive fuel consumption, check engine light is on, car hesitates to start and when pressing the gas pedal, hesitation on acceleration, and car dies while driving. Could it be a problem with the mass airflow sensor? If so, does that explain the loud noise that's coming from the engine? What could the problem be and how much would it cost to fix it?

Faults with the mass air flow sensor do not cause noise. The noise could be due to exhaust leaks, or internal faults in exhaust components such as the muffler or resonator if equipped. Belt driven accessories can be the source of abnormal noises as well. With regard to the excessive fuel consumption and the acceleration issue, inasmuch as the check engine light is on, the very first priority is to obtain any and all codes that have set and track those down (that is, perform the required diagnostics) because often faulty components implicated in those codes will be the cause of the problems you are having. Once all codes are investigated, any found faults repaired, and all codes cleared, if trouble remains a more specific diagnostic is performed tied to the operating fault. If you want to get the process started, just request a check engine light diagnostic and a certified mechanic will be dispatched right to your door. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. excessive gas consumption, loud noise, check engine light is on