Stuttering Nissan l4-2.5l altima nissan 2006

Q: Stuttering Nissan

asked by on July 24, 2017

I have a 2006 Nissan Altima, 106,000 miles. Just recently, after the car's started, it'll stutter a bit before fulling moving. Even getting it to start has often been a bit of stall (battery is new) as it sounded like it took a while to "catch" on to start. Once it's on the drive is fine. Although, twice already on separate occasions, as I was in full drive the gas pedal did not "work". I step on the gas and the car wouldn't accelerate. While it coasted I pumped the gas pedal a couple of times before regaining acceleration. Any advice on what it could be, and the possible cost? I'm a college student and would greatly appreciate some thoughts on what it could be. As a woman, I'd like to kind of know what I'd have to tell or ask the mechanic to look for. THANK YOU SO MUCH Y'ALL!!!

It sounds like you may have a fuel supply problem in getting the proper amount of fuel to the fuel injectors. As you know, when you turn the key to on, the fuel pump is activated and the fuel system is primed with fuel at a specific pressure in order to supply the fuel injectors with enough fuel to start the motor. When this is less than what is needed in order for the motor to fire or in some cases higher than normal, you may notice an erratic fluctuation in engine RPMs, hard starting or a lack of power when accelerating as the engine may be starved for fuel if insufficient fuel pressure exists in the fuel system. This can happen when the pump itself is not working properly or when the fuel pressure regulator is not maintaining the proper fuel pressure in the fuel system causing the engine to starve for fuel. This can also happen when there is insufficient connectivity to the fuel injectors which can cause an intermittent fuel spray pattern into the intake system resulting in a lean fuel condition or the motor otherwise starving for fuel. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your fuel system.