Q: Steering wheel issues following jump start

I jumped my car after it sat for a month. Tried to drive it to local store to check battery. Steering fighting me and radio keeps resetting but car does not stop running. Not sure if it is alternator, battery belt or combo.

Batteries normally self discharge over time. Also, your car’s electrical system will draw 20-50 milliamps, roughly, even as the car sits, to power the clock, computer, and security system. Combined, these factors can cause the battery voltage to drop so low, that eventually the car will not start. First thing to do is fully charge the battery and perform a load test. If the battery passes the load test, just check the output of the charging system to be sure that is functioning normally. The steering issue may be indirectly related to the jump start in that the power steering hydraulic pump on your car is electrically operated. So, if voltage to the pump is low, because the battery is discharged enough to require a jump start, the power steering pump output could degrade. If you are still having problems with your vehicle, I recommend you request a battery diagnostic or an electrical components diagnostic.

3. Steering wheel issues following jump start