Q: Steering wheel hard turning on 2007 Volvo V50

My car has 84,916 miles on it. It had a swirl valve control linkage problem which I just got fixed. But sometimes it’s really hard turning right from driving straight when my car is cold. It’s like my steering wheel is fighting me when I turn away from driving straight and once turned it came right. My car just started making a new noise when I am driving in a straight line and turning left, and when I turn right it makes no noise at all. It sounds like a rattle that disappears when I am turning right. I don’t get any Diagnostic Trouble codes on the Vida or error warnings on the dashboard. Do you replace the camshaft belt at 100,000 miles? What could the problem be with my steering wheel?

According to the service I use to make recommendations by mileage, the change interval for the timing belt is 120,000 miles. 100,000 miles is a little early, but it is better to perform services like these earlier rather than late when a failure can cause damage. The noise can be traced better up close, but since the noise occurs with steering effort you can likely trace it back to the power steering system or front suspension. To have the faulty component confirmed, a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can inspect the steering system and make the correct repairs.