Q: steering has been stiff lately and there is a squeak coming from rack and pinion

asked by on September 23, 2016

steering wheel has about a half inch play without the tires moving and you can hear a squeak, steering has been stiffer than normal lately too, power steering fluid is full i just refilled, is it the rack and pinion or the power steering? pump hasnt been replaced and truck has 95k miles

I believe that the issue you are having is due to your rack and pinion. If you are hearing a squeaking sound from the rack and pinion, there is likely a restriction in your rack and pinion most likely due to a broken tooth from one of the gears. I would recommend enlisting the assistance of a qualified professional to use a mechanic’s stethoscope on the rack and pinion to verify that the noise is coming from there. Once this has been verified, I would recommend replacing the rack and pinion. As for the play in the steering wheel, a half inch is a normal amount of free play for pickup truck to have.