Q: Check engine light and oil light comes on before oil change?

asked by on March 07, 2017

My car is very weird. It runs flawlessly for having 130k miles on it . However this weird thing happens when I get near my oil change times. The first thing that happens is around 300 miles before oil change time it lights up low oil light, as well as the tire pressure light. Then when I get to around 150 to 100 miles left the check engine light will once and awhile come on as well. But every single time I get the oil done the lights all go away until the same time roughly before the oil change... please tell me why this is

Change Oil and Filter $92.43 - $157.60 Get a Quote
Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi There, As you may know, these lights are designed to come on at specific mileage intervals that are preset by the factory. When your mileage exceeds a certain amount relative to the last oil change, this will trigger the lights to come on. Typically this will include the oil light and the check engine light as there are also other basic service items that are checked during oil changes. I would recommend obtaining an owner’s manual for your car if you do not already have one. This will usually indicate the specific service intervals and recommended maintenance items for your vehicle at the various mileage intervals.

The tire pressure monitor will also come on when the air pressure in the tires has reached a specific threshold relative to the tire design specification. Tire pressure is also impacted by the outside air temperature. For every 10° drop in air temperature outside your tires will lose about 1% in PSI or inflation. As you may know, as the temperature of the air changes the density of the air changes as well causing the tire pressure to be impacted by this. When this happens, the sensors in the wheels will detect this change in tire pressure and cause the tire pressure light to come on. Aside from replacing faulty tire pressure sensors, another way to help prevent this type of fluctuation in tire pressure is by the use of Nitrogen in your tires rather than regular air. As you may know, air is approximately 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen and the rest is water vapor and some other small concentrations of gases. Nitrogen is much less likely to migrate through tire rubber than oxygen. This will maintain your tire pressure much more consistently during large temperature fluctuations.