Q: Q: Starter

My Mazda 3 is having issues grinding when I first start it up. It grinds for about 3 seconds and then starts up. After its been warmed up tho it does not grind. I have a warranty on it and took it to the mechanic that often works with the dealership. They at first said it sounded just likethe starter has an issue as i had suspected but then when i came to pick it up they told me they could not identify the problem as of now and to wait until the problem gets worse. Well now my check engine light has turned on and it still grinds when I initially start it up. Can someone give me an idea of what the problem may be?

Hello, It sounds like you may have a starter that may be grinding on the flywheel when you turn the key. This can happen for a variety of reasons such as an improperly aligned starter, a ring gear that may have some damaged teeth or potentially a bad starter solenoid. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your starter.