Q: Starter not cranking the engine

The starter won't crank the engine. I tried jumping my vehicle, but all I get is the sound of a gear spinning and clicking.

If your starter is clicking and spinning, and unable to turn the engine, it is likely that the starter has failed. It sounds like either the gear has become worn, the the point where it no longer contacts the flex plate correctly, or perhaps the starter’s internal windings have become worn, and the starter can no longer provide the torque necessary to turn the engine. I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, test the starter, and if necessary replace it.

3. Starter not cranking the engine